Using this pyramid each session we came up with several goals to focus on. Some of my goals were:
- Focus on using "when... then" commands to make sure instructions are clear and simple.
- Teach my students to give and receive a complement.
- Use group incentives to promote teamwork.
- Identify behaviours I can ignore while keeping students safe.
- I give more attention to positive behaviours than to inappropriate student behaviours.
Sue and Claire who were the facilitators of the course did a wonderful job at presenting the content of the course in a fun and enjoyable way. Claire even visited my classroom to observe how I was implementing the incredible years program in my classroom. You can read the observation notes here and I must say they were so positive and a delight to read.
After Tuesday 27th June session it was time to say good bye to my fellow students, but also a quick graduation ceremony. This course has done two things to my teaching practice, first it made me feel confident in what I have been doing in my classroom and also it has given me more tools to use in my classroom.